Do you love drama, acting, performing, singing and dancing? Welcome home.
Home to two theatres, with the main theatre seating almost 200 people, the Institute of Arts here at the University of Cumbria is a special place for the study, practice and enjoyment of performing arts. It's a drama school at heart, so you will feel at home here.
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
Close to the city centre of Carlisle in a beautiful, leafy setting, our campus is everything you need to inspire your creativity and our hand-on courses are at least two thirds focused on the development of your practical skills.
If you love performing, acting and musical theatre, we've got you. Study Performance Arts at the University of Cumbria and let your passion become your career. See you there.
93% of our graduates are in work or further study within six months of graduating (DLHE 2018).
Career Prospects with a Performing Arts Degree
Our aim is to develop your professional knowledge and skills in order for you to forge a career in the relevant industry, be that theatre, media, education, technical or stage management.
In addition, we have students who discover skills at university that help them go on to be directors, writers, designers and choreographers. Performing Arts graduates also have great communication and team-working skills and are in high demand in many creative, problem-solving or public-facing roles.
Graduates from our various courses have gone on to work in the West End, in Touring Theatres, in TV and Film and in community and education.
But don't take our word for it. Our graduate and Alumnus of the Year, Katie Slavin-Trower, tells her story studying at Cumbria and how Performing Arts changed her life.
Browse our Performing Arts courses
Working with Industry Professionals
Our experienced staff have professional backgrounds in relevant areas and a strong commitment to nurture all our students to realise their potential.
In addition, all our performance work is directed by visiting practitioners currently working in the industry. So you have an excellent chance to experience the “real world” and make contacts for future placements and jobs. At any one time there are six to eight artists-in-residence, directors, musical directors and choreographers working at our Institute of Arts.
Meet the Team
Why study Performing Arts at the University of Cumbria?
- You will be taught by performing arts experts with a wealth of industry knowledge, experience and connections.
- Visiting directors and choreographers from leading national performances work with our students every semester.
- You will have the opportunity to go on theatre trips.
- Our Performing Arts students can get involved in over 250 events a year that take place in our 180-seat Stanwix Arts Theatre and our 80-seat studio theatre.
- On your third year, you will have the opportunity to take part on our ‘Show Stopper’, the two auditioning events we host in London and Manchester for talent management agencies and theatre companies.
- Our campus is home to purpose-built arts resources and equipment, including two performance theatres.
- Our Stanwix Arts Theatre is open to public hosting university and touring productions.
- Our highly practical courses are focused on the development of your skills.
- The atmosphere is friendly and lively. Our university feels like a drama college.
- We aim to provide you with a rich, personal and unique experience and we have a proven record of excellence in teaching, student support and graduate employment.
More about the Stanwix Theatre
Follow Us on Social Media
Hear about our performances, what is happening at the Institute of Arts and be part of the conversation.
Performing Arts Showcases BA Performing Arts Stanwix Theatre
Institute of Arts Stanwix Theatre
Institute of Arts